Ph.D holder from the Department of Economic History of the Brunel University (1974; UK)
Graduate and Full Member of the UK Institute of Marketing, London, 1972
Post-graduate diploma from University of North London in Economic Development, 1971
Graduate of the economic department of Athens Economic University-ex Graduate school of Economic and Commercial studies-ΑΣΟΕΕ-1965
‘A vintage model approach to some problems of shipping economics’ 1974.
Books & Monographs written in Greek:
- 1997, Management of Coastal and Sea Industries, 353 pp, Stamoulis publications. An updated complementary book published t00.
- 1999, Management of Shipping companies, Vol. A and B, 3rd edition, pp 357, Stamoulis publications.
- 1997, Quality control in Shipping companies and at the ship (ISM Code & ISO 9002) with C. Giziakis, pp 361. 2001 2nd edition pp 437, Stamoulis publications.
- 1996, Operations management in Shipping Companies, J+J Hellas publications, pp 228; 2001, 2nd edition titled ‘The Management of Operations and Production in Shipping companies’, Stamoulis publications.
- 1998, Finance for shipping companies, pp 371, 2nd edition, Stamoulis.
- 2002, The Short Sea Shipping with Prof. Sambrakos.
- 2002, Introduction to the management of Companies, Stamoulis.
Books published abroad:
- “The Business of Shipping” with Lun, Ng and Cheng, Volume 2, (2010), pp 127, by Inderscience, ISBN 0-907776-51-5;
- “Maritime Logistics Contemporary Issues” (2012) edited by D-W Song & Photis M. Panayides, Chapter 13, by Goulielmos, Lai and Lun, Maritime logistics in EU Green Ports and short Sea shipping, pp 245-261, ISBN 978-1-78052-340-8;
- "Oil Transport Management, by Lun, Hilmola, Goulielmos, Lai and Cheng, 2012, ISBN 978-1-4471-2920-2"
Prof. Dr. Goulielmos after his return to Greece from UK in 1975, one year after the Cyprus problem, was invited by Athens Center of Planning and economic development (KEΠE) to take part in the works of the then two 5 year Plans 1976-1980. He was proposed by ex Finance Minister John Paleocrassas. He submitted 5 proposals/papers in Greek: Finance for Greek shipping; Shipping Foreign exchange Inflow; the prospects of the growth of Global and Greek flagged shipping for 1976-1980; balance of Resources; the Economic shipping research in Greece.
- Goulielmos A M and Gatzoli A, (2012), The role of a ship’s Master in theory and practice: lessons from Marine Accidents, fall, pp 55-78, Critical Incidence Analysis.
- Goulielmos A M and Pardali A, (1998), The framework protecting ships and ports from fire and pollution, Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 7, Νο 4, pp 281-287.
- Goulielmos A M, (2001), Maritime Safety: facts and proposals for the European OPA, Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 10, No 4, pp 278-285.
- Goulielmos A M & Tzannatos E, (1997), The man-machine interface and its impact on shipping safety, Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 6, No 2, pp. 107-117, 1997. Reprinted in a special volume in Management by Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Goulielmos A M & Tzannatos E, (1997), Management information system for the promotion of safety in shipping, Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 6, No 4, pp. 252-262.
- Goulielmos A M, (2004), A treatise of randomness tested also in marine accidents, Disaster Prevention & management, Vol. 13, No 3, 208-217
- Goulielmos A.M. & Anastasakos A A, (2005), Worldwide security measures for shipping, seafarers and ports: an impact assessment of ISPS code, Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol. 14, No 4, 462-478.
- Goulielmos A M-Goulielmos M A and Gatzoli A, (2009), The accident of the passenger-car vessel Samina Express (2000) when 80 persons died: an analysis by the principles of the nonlinear Management, Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol. 18, No 3, pp. 338-358.
- Goulielmos A.M. , (2005), Complexity theory: a science where historical accidents matter, Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol. 14, No 4, pp 533-547.
- Goulielmos A.M. & Goulielmos M.A., (2005), The accident of M/V herald of free enterprise: a failure of the ship or of the management? Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol. 14, Nο 4, pp 479-492.
- Goulielmos A M-Giziakis C V and Pasarzis M, (2002), Should marine insurance companies take seriously chaos theory? Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol. 11, No 4, 312-319.
- Goulielmos A M-Lathouraki G and Giziakis C V, (2012), The quest of Marine accidents due to human error, Emergency Services, Vol. 1, No 1, 39-70.
- Goulielmos A M-Chrostodoulou A and Giziakis C V, (2014), The extent of awareness and effectiveness of IMO’s Air pollution measures: the case of Greek Shipping, Vol. 13, issue 3, pp 46-58, July.
- Goulielmos A M, (2000), European Policy on Port Environmental Protection”, Global Nest: The International Journal, Vol. 2, No 2, July, p.189- 197. In English.
- Goulielmos A M, (2012), Long term forecasting of BFI using chaos cycle theory and maritime technical analysis, Vol. 1,7, Dec., Global Advanced Research of Social Science.
- Goulielmos A M & Psifia M, (2007), Forecasting weekly crude oil freight rates, 1983-2008 using chaotic tools and methods, Investment Research & Analysis Journal, Vol. 2, No 2, Fall, pp 97-117.
- Goulielmos A M and Psifia M-E, (2009), Forecasting weekly freight rates for one year TC 65,000 dwt bulk carrier, 1989-2008, using nonlinear methods, Maritime policy and Management, Vol. 36, No 5, 411-436.
- Goulielmos A M & Psifia M-E, (2006), Shipping Finance: time to follow a new track? Maritime policy and Management, Vol. 33, No 3, 301-320, July.
- Goulielmos A M & Psifia M-E, (2007), A study of trip and time charter freight rate indices, 1968-2003, Maritime policy and management, Vol. 34, No 1, Feb., 55-67.
- Goulielmos A M, (2002), Complexity Theory applied to management of shipping companies’, Maritime Policy & Management, Vol. 29, Νο 4, 375-391.
- Goulielmos A M & Gatzoli A, (2004), An analysis of the pricing system in the Greek-Italian coastal routes, Maritime policy & management, Vol. 31, No 4, 269-285.
- Goulielmos A M, (1996), Estimating demand for skilled personnel by the Greek Shipping Industry”, Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 23, No 2, 115-118.
- Goulielmos A M and Psifia M-E, (2011), Forecasting short-term freight rate cycles: Do we have a more appropriate method then normal distribution? Maritime Policy and Management, Vol. 38, No 6, 645-672.
- Goulielmos A M, (2000), A proposed Shipping Policy to Counteract Flagging-out: The paradigm of Greece, Maritime Economics, Vol. II, No 1, p.27-47.
- Goulielmos A M-Kapothanassis and Giziakis C V, (2011), Forecasting Baltic Dry Index using nonlinear chaotic models and artificial neural networks, Modelling and Simulation of Systems.
- Goulielmos A M and Gatzoli A, (2009), The structure of the market in the Greek-Italian sea transportation: a theoretical and empirical investigation, Ocean systems Management, Vol. 1, No 2.
- Goulielmos A M-Mitroussi K and Gatzoli A, (2008), Marine accidents: quality vs safety and one step further, Ocean systems Management, Vol. 1, No 1, 45-67.
- Goulielmos A M, (2013), Keynes economics of Depression: the shipping industry as a case study, Research in Economics and International Finance, Vo. 2, 2, pp 13-28, Febr.
- Goulielmos A M, (2009), Is history repeated? Cycles and Recessions in shipping Markets, 1929 and 2008, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol.1, No 4, 329-360.
- Goulielmos A M, (2010), What can we learn from 259 years of shipping cycles? Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 2, 2, 125-150.
- Goulielmos A M and Kaselimi V, (2011), A nonlinear forecasting of Container Traffic: the case study of the Port of Piraeus, 1973-2008, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 3, 1, 72-99. Presented in IAME Copenhagen conference.
- Goulielmos A M, (2009), Risk analysis of the Aframax freight market and of its newbuilding and second hand prices, 1976-2008 and 1984-2008, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 1, 1, 74-97.
- Goulielmos A M-Palari V and Giziakis C V, (2011), Advantages and disadvantages of managing own ships by a third party ship management company, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Shipping and Transport Logisticsol. 3, 2, 126-150.
- Goulielmos A M, (2010), Did the price of second hand ships follow a predictable path over the period, 1976-2008? Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 2, 4, 383-410.
- Goulielmos A M and Plomaritou E, (2009), A review of Marketing for Tramp Shipping, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 1, 2, 119-155.
- Goulielmos A M-Georgantzi A and Giziakis C V, (2012), An application of nonlinear methods to the prediction of future freight rates, 2006-2008, Shipping and Transport Logistics, Vol. 4, 1, 78-106.
- Goulielmos A M and Sitzimis G, (2012), Measuring the market concentration in the Aegean Ferry System, SPOUDAI, Vol. 62, 1-2,pp 7-27.
- Goulielmos A M-Gatzoli A and Anastasakos A, (2014), The effect of the Maritime security regime (ISPS Code, on World Supply of Seafarers, SPOUDAI, Vol. 64, No 1.
- Goulielmos A M and Goulielmos M A, (2009), The problem of timing in decisions to buy or to charter a vessel, Transport Economics, Vol. 36, 2, 261-286.
- Goulielmos A M, (2013), An econometric analysis of the impact of vessel size on weekly time charters: a case study in volatility (Panamax and Cape), Transport Economics, Vol. 40, 1.
- Goulielmos A M and Goulielmos Matin, (2008), Do nonlinear tools make a difference in handling shipping derivatives? Transport Economics, Vol. 35, 3, 345-371.
- Goulielmos A M & Psifia M-E, (2006), Variations in charter rates for a time series between 1971 and 2002: can we model them as an effective tool in shipping finance? Transport Economics, Vol. 33, No 2, June, 257-278.
- Goulielmos A M, (1999), Deregulation in major Greek ports: the way it has to be done”, Transport Economics, Vol. 25, 1, 69-88, Feb.
- Goulielmos A M, (1998), Greek Coastal Passenger Shipping in front of Liberalization”, Transport Economics, Vol.25, No 1, 69-88, Febr.
- Goulielmos A M (1997), A critical review of the contemporary Greek Shipping Policy 1981-1996, Transport Policy, Vol.4, No 4, pp 247-255.
- Goulielmos A M, (1998), Flagging-out and the need for a New Greek maritime policy”, Transport Policy, Vol. 5, No 2, 115-125.
- Goulielmos A M, (1997), The relationship between Capital and Labor in the Greek Shipbuilding Industry: key for its international antagonism, Technical Chronicles, 3, pp 43-48, a day conference.
- Goulielmos A M, (2012), Editorial, Special issue on short sea shipping, Ocean systems Management, Vol. 1, Nos 3-4, 227-237.
- Goulielmos A M and Lun V, (2012), A critical evaluation of EU Maritime Policy (1957, 1986-2010), Ocean systems Management, Vol. 1, Nos 3-4, 270-288.
- Goulielmos A M and Lun V, (2012), The common Marine Policy of the European Union since 2005, Ocean systems Management, Vol. 1, Nos ¾, 289-315.
- Goulielmos A M and Gatzoli A, (2013), The ‘major Marine accidents’ Do not occur randomly, Environmental Science and Engineering, B, 709-722.
- Goulielmos A M, (2014), Why shipowners place excessive orders during a depression? Social Science Research, Vol. 2, 2.
- Goulielmos A M and Sitzimis G, (2014), The liberalization process of the Ferry system in Greece, 2001-2014 (August): what are the benefits to users of the Aegean Sea Transportation? SPOUDAI, Vol. 64, 4, pp. 39-66.
- Goulielmos A M, (2015), How complexity and chaos theory reformed Management, Archives of Business Research, Vol.3, issue 2, Febr.
- Goulielmos A M, (2015), The Multi-faceted character of Risk in Maritime Freight Markets (Panamax), 1996-2012, SPOUDAI, forthcoming.
- Goulielmos A M, (2001), The economic and Monetary Union and their impact on Shipping Industry, Review of Economic Sciences, Vol. 1, year 1, pp 71-86, Technological Educational Foundation/University (TEI) of Epirus.
- Goulielmos A M, (2004), The role of physics in the formulation of the tool case of Economic Science, Review of economic sciences, ΤΕΙ, Epirus, issue 6.
- Goulielmos A.M., (2005), A First assessment of the impact of the new countries’ accession-especially of Cyprus & Malta-to EU, SPOUDAI, The University of Piraeus Journal of economics, business, statistics & operations research, Vol. 55, No 2, April-June.
- Goulielmos A M, (2006), The contemporary Shipping Policy of Greece, Review of Economic Sciences, issue 9, TEI Epirus.
- Goulielmos A M and Giziakis C V, (1998), The Treatment of uncompensated cost of marine accidents in a model of welfare economics, Disaster Prevention and Management, Vol.7, No 3.
- Goulielmos A M and Pardali A, (2002), Container ports in Mediterranean Sea: a Supply & Demand analysis in the age of globalization, Transport Economics, Vol. 29-No1, February.
- Goulielmos A M-Christodoulou A and Giziakis C V, (2014), Comparison of the “Global Levy Scheme” with the “Emissions Trading Scheme” to reduce Greenhouse Gas Shipping Emissions, Environmental Science and Engineering B, Vol. 3, No 2, Febr. pp. 91-108 (serial no 26).
- Goulielmos A M & E Siropoulou , (2006), Determining the duration of cycles in the market of second hand tanker ships, 1976-2001: Is prediction possible? Bifurcation and Chaos, Vol. 16, No 7, 2119-2127.
Over the 16 papers (1992-1998) presented in Conferences and considered equivalent with the above 63 papers, till May 2015, are not written down here including the ‘Economist’ conference in Athens titled: “Maritime policy Issues: their impact on the development of an efficient national flag-the Greek experience” and various IAME conferences for the sake of being brief.
Also, over 9 papers written in Volumes in honour of retired or late Professors of the University of Pireaus are not written down here. These are considered too as equivalent to the above papers.
Moreover, more than 24 papers presented in various conferences are not written down here. Also are not recorded down more than 55 papers published in Greek Press (Naftemporiki, Greece & International Transports, Outlook, Nafs, Kerdos, Deltio NEE (Greek Chamber of Shipping), Naftika Chronica. Elnavi, Alkyon, Katrhimerini and others. A detailed list can be provided of the above 104 papers upon request.
Dr Professor Goulielmos has undertaken 13 research projects:
- for the EDF of the EU for the Ferry system of Guyana as chief economist, 1986-1989;
- EU for small and medium European ports, chief economist 1988-1989;
- Seychelles project for the Tuna port of the EDFund 1990-1991;
- ETVA study for Industrial Area at Astakos, 1991;
- Ministry of national Economy/CPED for Greek Coastal shipping, 1992;
- Cape Verde shipping coastal industry, World Bank project, 1992;
- Port of Rhodes, Delors’ and National Economy project’ of ETVA and for Port of Igoumenitsa, 1993;
- MGA for the connection of the University with industry;
- Marine accidents, Hellenic Chamber of shipping, 1993-1997, 3 volumes, Chief researcher;
- Leonardo da Vinci program, 1996-1997;
- MARSK project of EU chief economist;
- Causes for people to choose marine profession, 1995-1997 with the cooperation of YEN;
- Coddisart Euro Doc ship Survey, DGVII project of EU Commission, chief economist.
- Prof. Dr Goulielmos participated in international conferences between 1992-1998 at Delft; Alexandria; Yerevan; Cambridge MIT; Bergen; Vancouver; Rotterdam after invitation; London IAME after invitation; IME London; PMF London after invitation; Honolulu ISOPE after invitation; Yokohama after invitation; Antwerp; international round table conference for EU short sea shipping 1992-1998; member of IMSF; IAME member and editor of Newsletter; member Policy Research Corporation N V; member of the Board of Editors Maritime Economics Journal and Review of Economic Studies, TEI Epirus.
- Member in 10 scientific societies: Institute of Marketing; Greek Economic Society; IAME; ISOPE; Greek statistical Institute; Greek scientific society for the protection of the environment; ISTAME; ISMF and Royal Economic society UK.
- Member in Committees and Board of Directors in 18 cases. Detailed list upon request of all the above situations.
- Participation in 39 conferences without proceedings with 4 speeches and 6 interventions.